Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
1 lb pork breakfast sausage
1 small onion, small diced
1 small red or orange bell pepper, small diced
7 large eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup coconut milk (optional)
A few dashes of hot sauce (optional)
4 cups (about 20oz,) frozen shredded hash browns or shredded sweet potatoes, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees then spray a 9×13″ glass baking dish with misto oil spray or spread coconut oil or avocado oil on the dish and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the sausage with the onion and bell peppers and then drain any excess fat and set aside to cool slightly (can be done ahead of time.)
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, salt, pepper, coconut milk, hot sauce, and whisk until smooth.
- Add the thawed hash browns to the baking dish first. Then layer the sausage mixture onto the hash browns. Pour egg mixture into prepared baking dish then smooth with a spatula until liquid is evenly distributed.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove foil then bake for 5 more minutes or until top is golden brown. Let sit for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
- If the mixture seems a little too dry before pouring into the casserole dish, add another one or two eggs whisked with milk.